Monday, June 13, 2011

Cloud Eaters in the Sky

Coming in one weeks time. 

Adam Little - The artist man

Cloud Eaters - the title of the show-li-oh

6:00 pm until 8:00 pm, Friday June 17th - The time to do your looky-loo. 

The show will hang in the gallery from June 17th until August 19th.



                               
                               "Men had made those masks and other objects for a sacred purpose, a magic purpose, as a kind of mediation between themselves and the unknown hostile forces that surrounded them, in order to overcome their fear and horror by giving it a form and an image. At that moment I realized that this was what painting was all about. Painting isn’t an aesthetic operation; it’s a form of magic designed as a mediator between this strange, hostile world and us, a way of seizing the power by giving form to our terrors as well as our desires. When I came to that realization, I knew I had found my way."

   
                                Pablo Picasso







"On a fundamental level my work is an exploration of the nature of parenthood, the parent-child dynamic, and the ways in which I relate to human beings though examples gained from interactions with my parents.  The work uses images and fragments of images that have been drawn from a reinterpretation of various origin mythologies.  Through the invention of an origin mythology I am able to create characters and tell personal stories with universal applications.  In this regard, I’m using the images to tell stories about my parents and children.  Those relationships, the one with our parents and the one with our children, are the most important factors in determining the way that we see our individual space, and the way that we chose to impact the larger world.

My work uses a reappropriation and reimaging of popular religious narrative and mythology to address issues of personal importance.  The work moves in and out of issues other than parenting like; nature, environment, politics, and sex.  The work draws heavily on an illustrative style that borrows vocabulary and technique from Byzantine art, Inuit art, comic books, children’s books, religious icon painting, and science fiction. "  





Be there...eat some food, sweat a little bit, maybe buy a piece...who knows.




1 comment: