Monday, May 21, 2012

So many people! It felt like a...

One thing I don't think anyone will ever accuse me of being is prompt. This opening happened awhile ago it's true. In general I don't get images up in a timely manner, but c'mon Joseph. 

Let me say a few things about the University of Iowa's master's program opening: 1) It was by far the highest attended show in Bakery history! Clocking in at right around 100 people. It's the first time all of the food was eaten. 2) People LOVE artist's books. They may not always understand them, but they certainly love them. 3) What a great show of support from the supporters of that program. Intelligent, thoughtful, and caring. 

Another thing that can be said about me is that I am not a particularly "skilled" photographer...particularly when it comes to trying to capture the essence of an event or moment. I tend to go for the "I'm tall, raise the hand" type of photos, which I am well aware does not escalate the artistic integrity of said photos. Really Ms. Anna Pate needs to be working camera detail, but it was a big weekend and she had a particularly large parcel in her uterus. (hint: it's a baby) If anyone happened to take better or more enticing photos (which is really almost anyone) I'd love to post them here. 

Here's what I can provide for you. Enjoy. Imagine a lot more people and energy and sweat (wait, that may have been just me) well imagine a sweaty Lappie. (you DO NOT have to) 



Lot's of looking and gallery founder Heather blessing her child.




A "book table". So much good stuff and so little space. We had to set up a couple of 
Opening night spots to fit everything.




The formidable Kim Maher. Former SAU Book Arts student, current UI student, future big deal.




Radha Pandry, Islam Aly, and Zachary Stensen showin their stuff. 



OOoohh... we're so party, it's so fun (or) how to rock without even knowing it. 




How many people wanted to buy this Radha Pandry piece? Well, there were 4 offers and probably some silent wishes. 




The local Quad Cities Art Critic was taken aback, needed a breath. 




This time Craig Kelchen makes it into view.


So many patterns, such a nice spread, look at all of those conversations. 


Thank you for everyone who attended. 

Please consider following this blog. It's got all of the sporadic info about the Bakery Gallery that you could ever need. Let's talk about the next show - Local Flavor Angela Wilson. It's looking good. We can even chit-chat about shows after the shows. All of this is coming in the nearest of futures. When I am on, I'm on. I just suffer from long off periods. 

Take care and say "hi" to the fish for me. 

The Bakery Gallery


No comments:

Post a Comment